We all aim to be happy in life, but not everyone succeeds. It’s not about avoiding sadness, it’s being able to embrace the negativity that sometimes comes our way, while enjoying the positive things in life. Sometimes we all wish we could be happier. It’s a known fact that we make ourselves miserable without even realising. We think about how things in our life didn’t turn out as we hoped. Negative thoughts such as worry, self-judgment and fearing rejection enter our heads and stop us from moving forward.
Happiness isn’t a gift from someone. It’s not just going to fall out of the sky and hit you on the head (although that would be nice!). You have to play an active part to achieve happiness, inside and out.
How to be happy in life?
1. Choose to be happy. Make a conscious decision to be happy and live a positive life. Doing things that you enjoy is good for your emotional wellbeing. Always live the life you want to live, not how others want you to live it. Choose attitudes and behaviours that lead to happiness, over unhappiness.
2. Surround yourself with positive people. Positivity is contagious. Every second you spend with positive people will make life more enjoyable and productive. Spending time with people who constantly complain can drain you and end up putting you in a bad mood, so avoid it at all costs.
3. Remember perfection doesn’t exist. Every day is an opportunity to be a better version of you. If you focus on small changes and goals, they will naturally turn into bigger goals without you even noticing. Be thankful for everything you have, right now. Enjoy what’s right in front of you, not what you might or might not have tomorrow.
4. Happiness attracts success. Success in itself will not bring happiness. In work people want to do business with positive, happy people. In relationships people are attracted to others who smile, are positive and passionate about everything they do.
5. Go after life. You can’t change your life by doing the same things you’ve always done. Push yourself outside of your comfort zone, discard old habits and leave those negative thoughts behind. Stop looking for happiness and start living happiness.
6. Exercise. If you are physically active, you will feel more energetic. You will sleep better and you will naturally choose healthier food choices. These 3 things combined will improve your level of happiness.
Being happy is a daily decision that only you can make. You can’t chase happiness because it’s not something outside of you. It’s a side effect of doing good things for yourself.
True happiness is not a destination. It’s a constant journey. YOU have everything you need to live a happy life. Choose to be happy!
What are you waiting for? Take the leap of faith. Make the Change. Not tomorrow. Not next week, but NOW.