When was the last time you did something for the first time? Living busy and hectic lifestyles can make it difficult to think about learning something new, but there are huge benefits to be gained from stepping outside of your comfort zone. As we age our brains need more activity, but the average person between the ages of 35-65 challenge their minds less because they are comfortable in life. Learning something new can start a whole new chapter in your life, it can give you focus and you never know, you may discover a hidden talent!
The benefits of learning something new:
1. Become a better you. Learning can provide an escape when you need it and can also enhance your quality of life.
2. Sense of accomplishment. Can you remember back to when you rode a bike for the first time, or passed an important exam? I bet you felt a real sense of pride in your achievement.
3. Can help reduce stress. You make the choice to dedicate time for yourself. Taking time out, relaxing and enjoying a new hobby or activity can help improve your mental wellbeing.
4. Improve your confidence. Stepping outside of your comfort zone will help you gain confidence. It will give you an increased feeling of self-esteem, hope and purpose.
5. Meet new people. When you take up a new hobby or join a club you will meet interesting, like minded people. Chances are, you will make good friends whilst experiencing something completely new.
6. Have fun. Doing something for the first time is exciting, it could unearth a passion in you that you never realised you had!
Earlier this year I spent 6 days, learning to surf. I was constantly out of my comfort zone and challenging myself physically and mentally, every single time I went out to catch a wave (or more likely fall off the board!). I was surrounded by like minded people, who I could turn to for advice, or just share a funny moment with. It made me realise that I need to learn something new more often!
If you have something in the back of your mind that you have been thinking of trying, give it a go. You have nothing to lose!
Make the Change!