Everyone wants to be happy but how your life turns out is 100% your choice. You are ultimately responsible for your own happiness. If you struggle on a day to day basis and constantly feel unhappy, there are some things that you can consciously let go of to improve your life.
Here are my 7 top tips on things to let go of to help you live a happy life:
1. Aiming for perfection. Perfection quite simply doesn’t exist. We are all fantastically imperfect! Be more realistic about the standards you set for yourself and accept you will fail at some things.
2. Toxic people. Be honest we all have them in our lives. Some are openly nasty whilst others hope we fail in a more subtle way. Don’t let negative people continue to invade your positive thoughts. GET RID and be happy!
3. Self-criticism. Stop criticising yourself in a way you would never criticise a close friend. Talk to yourself how you would talk to your best friend. Be kind, respectful and above all, believe in yourself.
4. The past. We all have some stuff lurking in the past we are ashamed of or embarrassed about. Yesterday has gone. There is absolutely nothing you can do about it apart from move on and be happy. Put it behind you and don’t let it define your future.
5. Comparing yourself with others. If you constantly look enviously at what you perceive others to have, you will never be satisfied. Just because your friend has a bigger car or better house doesn’t mean every other aspect of their lives are good. The grass isn’t always greener. Be happy with what you do have, not what you don’t.
6. Negative thoughts. Every human being experiences negative thoughts. The key is to not let these thoughts ruin your chance to be happy. Try to see the positive in every thing you do. Stick your fingers up to the negative chimp sitting on your shoulder dragging you down.
7. Pleasing others. Being a people pleaser is not good for your physical or mental health. The only one to suffer in the long run will be YOU. If you’re constantly pleasing others you’re not doing what will make you truly happy in life. You can’t please everyone and quite frankly they shouldn’t expect you to. Don’t feel guilty for focussing on your happiness.
Take 30 minutes to write down the things you think you need to let go of to be happy. Keep it as a reminder. Let go of the things that are stopping you from being happy, RIGHT NOW! Make sure this is the year that you feel physically and mentally strong. The year that you accomplish those goals and actually feel good about yourself. This could be the year that you feel happy! Life is for living, not existing.
If you feel like you’re struggling to let go of things in your life, get in contact. It might only take a couple of sessions to get you on the right track.
Make the Change.
Leave A Comment