We all crave happiness in many different forms. Some people relate happiness to success at work, the ability to provide for their family and enjoy a certain quality of life. For others, being happy is dependent on a social network; perhaps a partner or a strong network of friends who provide support and are fun to be around. Happiness can also be found in the “things” we crave for, or long to have; such as a bigger house or a nicer car. There are also the intangible resources we crave, such as more time to do stuff we enjoy or finding and holding onto love.
Ultimately, only you can work out what brings you happiness, but there are some things you can do to help you along the way.
7 tips to improve your happiness:
1. Perfection – Let’s face it, nobody has a perfect life. From the outside (and in many cases on Social Media), others may seem to have everything going for them, but nobody knows what internal struggles they face on a day to day basis. Always aim high, but be realistic about what makes you happy.
2. Be yourself – If somebody is dampening your sparkle, consider spending less time with them (or cut them out completely if you can). Choose to surround yourself with those who appreciate you, but more importantly those who support your dreams and goals.
3. Spread your happiness – We all love making somebody else happy. It gives us a buzz to see people we love, smile. Do something nice for somebody at home or work, every single day. It will increase your own happiness levels.
4. Do what you love doing – If you’re doing something that fills you with dread or you hate the thought of, work out a way to get rid of it from your life. Focus on what you do enjoy. Whether it’s running, fishing, yoga, art, cooking, walking the dog, make time to do it. Ditch the excuses and work on the things that give you the most happiness.
5. Be grateful for what you have, not what you don’t have – Never compare yourself to others and just appreciate everything you have in life. Focus on you. Only ever compare yourself to yourself!
6. Don’t take things too seriously – If you constantly take yourself too seriously it becomes difficult to enjoy the moment and what’s happening in your life. Learn from things in the past but let them go. It’s so easy to be fearful of making mistakes and letting this control your future.
7. Laugh and smile, a lot – It’s free and infectious! Show a positive attitude towards everything you come up against.
One of my favourite quotes sums happiness up perfectly:
“Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking.” Marcus Aurelius
Life is too short, find happiness in everything you do!
Make the Change. Not tomorrow. Not next week, but NOW.