Every day I meet people with huge amounts of talent and wonderful dreams, but something holds them back from taking a step forward and realising their true potential. Instead, they find themselves watching others excel, in their careers or following their dreams and passions. They make excuses not to do something and don’t understand what is truly holding them back.
Common excuses that hold you back:
1. I’m not ready/It’s not the right time. When will you ever be ready? Is there ever a right time? You can keep telling yourself you aren’t ready. Something unexpected will always come up and there will never seem to be a right time. Start now, right now. Don’t have any regrets.
2. I’m not good enough. Yes, you are! Don’t compare yourself to others, nobody is perfect. Change your mindset to focus on progress, rather than perfection. Working towards your goals or dreams, is a willingness to put yourself out there. This is an accomplishment in itself.
3. I may fail. What if you succeed? Let’s face it failure is always a risk in whatever you do, but imagine that wonderful feeling if you succeed? Don’t let the fear of failure stop you from trying. Realise that you can achieve anything, if you set your mind to it.
4. It’s just not meant to be. If you believe this, then you will never succeed at anything. Challenge yourself, take action and change your life.
5. I’m scared/fearful. Is something really worth chasing if there isn’t an element of fear attached to it? Turn the fear into excitement and see it as a challenge. Have the courage to put the fear behind you. Once you reach your goal, it will feel far better knowing that you overcame your fear to get there.
6. What will my friends/family think? Who cares? Why does it matter? Friends and family can unknowingly hold you back from achieving your dreams. This is mainly because they are not chasing or achieving their own dreams. Don’t let the negativity of others stop you!
The mind is a clever thing. It will trick you into thinking you need to stay in your comfort zone, because it’s safe, so why would you want to step outside of it? These excuses are just obstacles that your mind is creating and if you let it, it will just keep coming up with excuse after excuse, eventually convincing you that you can’t do it. To succeed, you need to rewire the mind. Believe you can do it, or you will never realise your potential and your life will stay the same.
You can lose weight.
You can start your own business.
You can be the entrepreneur you dream of.
You can achieve your goals, whatever they may be!
Take the leap of faith – Make the Change!